1. Corona Virus Disease 2019 (COVID19) is a new respiratory illness that can easily be spread from person to person.
2. COVID-19 is spread through contact with droplets produced by a person who is sneezing or coughing or contaminated surfaces or objects.
3. COVID-19 can cause severe symptoms like fever, cough, headache, body aches and difficulty in breathing.
4. COVID-19 is preventable through;
– Washing your hands with soap and running water or using an alcohol based hand sanitizer.
– Keeping a social distance of at least 2 metres or 2-3 steps from people with flu-like symptoms.
– Avoiding shaking hands, hugging or kissing with people with flu-like symptoms.
– Staying at home and avoiding travel when you have flu-like symptoms.
5. Early detection and treatment can contribute greatly to survival of the patient.
6. COVID 2019 cannot be transmitted through air.
Signs and Symptoms
How Covid-19 Spreads
Protecting Myself And Others
1. Wash your hands frequently
– Regularly and thoroughly clean your hands with an alcohol-based hand rub or wash them with soap and water.
– Why? Washing your hands with soap and water or using alcohol-based hand rub kills viruses that may be on your hands.
2. Maintain social distancing.
– Maintain at least 1 metre (3 feet) distance between yourself and anyone who is coughing or sneezing.
– Why? When someone coughs or sneezes they spray small liquid droplets from their nose or mouth which may contain virus.
– If you are too close, you can breathe in the droplets, including the COVID-19 virus if the person coughing has the disease.
3. Avoid touching eyes, nose and mouth.
– Why? Hands touch many surfaces and can pick up viruses. Once contaminated, hands can transfer the virus to your eyes, nose or mouth.
– From there, the virus can enter your body and can make you sick.
4. Practice respiratory hygiene.
– Make sure you, and the people around you, follow good respiratory hygiene.
– This means covering your mouth and nose with your bent elbow or tissue when you cough or sneeze. Then dispose of the used tissue immediately.
– Why? Droplets spread virus. By following good respiratory hygiene you protect the people around you from viruses such as cold, flu and COVID-19.
What is self quarantine?
– Self quarantine is an act of individuals who may have been exposed to COVID-19 separating themselves for 14 days to monitor if the develope symptoms.
Who should self quarantine?
– Anyone who has traveled within the past 14 days to a country with sustained reported COVID-19 cases or has had close contact with a person showing COVID-19 symptoms.
What does self quarantine entail?
1. Stay in a separate room and use a separate bathroom if available.Disinfect surfaces and clothing.
2. Ensure surfaces in the household are cleaned and disinfected.
3. Avoid sharing household items.Wash this items thoroughly after use.
4. Clean your hands with soap and running water for up to 20 seconds.if that is not available,clean with alcohol based hand sanitizer.
5. No visitors unless the person needs to be in your home.
6. Wear a facemask if you must be around other people.
Home Based Care
What is self quarantine?
This interim guidance is for staff at local and county health departments, infection prevention and control teams, and healthcare personnel
who are coordinating the home care and isolation of people with confirmed or suspected COVID-19 infection presenting with mild symptoms
and when managing contacts, including persons under investigation. For the purpose of this document, caregivers refer to parents, spouses,
other family members or friends without formal healthcare training.
What actions can other sectors take to contain COVID-19?
1. Suspend all public gatherings,face to face meetings and events.
2. Suspend all inter school events.
3. All public transport providers to provide hand sanitizers to clients and regular cleaning of the vehicles.
4. Suspend visit to prisons for the next 30 days.
5. Avoid use of social media to spread misinformation.All official communication that will circulate will have government logo.